OLS 179 Controversial Issues in the Workplace • 2 Cr.
Examine controversial issues in the workplace such as gender or racial discrimination, the ADA, harassment, sweatshops, and unions through case studies, related court cases and laws and current news stories. Structured to accommodate special needs learners. Prerequisite: OLS 170, 171, 172 and acceptance into the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify and discuss major controversial issues in the workplace: discrimination, harassment, unions, adequate/equal pay, child labor laws, benefits, occupational safety, the ADA, etc.
- Summarize the laws related to you in the workplace
- Identify and discuss where protection can be found in the
- Constitution, federal laws, and state laws
- Identify and discuss the difference between discrimination and discipline
- Discuss disability disclosure laws and regulations
- Compare and contrast controversial issues
- Create a personal plan for self-advocacy in relation to controversial situations
- Identify and discuss discrimination in the media
- Describe an event in the media regarding discrimination and discuss the outcomes