PE 114 Beginning Rock Climbing • 1 Cr.
Introduction to basic rock climbing techniques, equipment, belay, and safety and risk assessment issues. Class meets off campus at a designated local indoor climbing wall for weekly climbing and instruction sessions.
Students provide own transportation to climbing gym.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Be confident in practicing basic climbing techniques, knots and anchors
- Distinguish between real and percieved risks at rock climbing sites
- Understand the history of climbing and the rationale for institutional policies
- Improve balance, flexibility, strength and endurance
- Gain a greater appreciation of an established life-long fitness plan