PE 115 Hiking & Orienteering • 1 Cr.
Introduction to hiking with an emphasis on basic map and compass use. Covers Northwest hiking opportunities as well as equipment, trip planning and risk management of back country travel through an exploration of area trails. Recommended: Participants need to be able to walk 3-4 miles at a sustained pace.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- At the end of this course students will:
- Gain a greater appreciation of a life-long fitness plan using outdoor adventure activities
- Increase knowledge of backcountry travel while identifying potential hazards
- Understand how to select and care for backpacking equipment
- Gain skills needed to safely navigate through the back country using a map and compass
- Gain a greater understanding of the relationship between man and the environment
- Develop skills needed to plan and lead backpacking trips