PE 116 Snowshoeing • 1 Cr.
Snowshoeing is a classic technique for exploring the backcountry in snowy conditions. Students tour designated mountain trails each week focusing on fitness, snowshoeing techniques, equipment care and safe mountain travel.
Fee: $20 equipment rental.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- At the end of this course the students will:
- be confindent in basic snowshoe techniques
- understand the importance of a lifelong fitness plan and how to stay active in winter months
- improve cardiovascular and muscular endurance
- identify potential winter travel risks
- understand how to prepare for winter activities including weather and avalanche dangers
- identify quality snowshoe equipment with an understanding of basic repair techniques
- improve understanding of risk management issues associated with snowshoeing