PE 124 Intermediate Rock Climbing • 1 Cr.
Introduces experienced climbers to skills necessary for sport lead climbing. Site assessment, lead climbing equipment, rappel techniques and safety issues will be discussed. Prerequisite: PE 114 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify various styles of climbing.
- Identify safety issues relating to basic skills, equipment and site assessment.
- Properly set-up and control the rope to protect the lead climber.
- Demonstrate proper climbing procedures for the sport lead climber.
- Identify the components of a SRENE top-rope anchor.
- Set-up and establish back-ups to complete a rappel.
- Prepare a site assessment and identify safety issues at an unfamiliar climbing site.
- Spring 2017 (current quarter)