PHIL 145 Eastern Philosophy • 5 Cr.
Introduces the philosophical traditions of India, China, and Japan. Students explore concepts of value, self, reality, social/political philosophy, aesthetics, and religion in Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, and other traditions.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss a selection of classic, internationally respected texts.
- Explain the basic principles and claims of major Eastern philosophies.
- Explain how Eastern philosophies can relate to contemporary situations .
- Compare various Eastern schools of thought
- Articulate the reasons each tradition offers for its claims.
- Evaluate each philosophy for strengths and weaknesses
- Identify classical and contemporary artworks as influenced by one or more Eastern philosophyhy.
- Spring 2016 (current quarter)