POLS 122 The United Nations • 3 Cr.
Analyzes the present structure and purpose of the United Nations organization. Seminar format. Prerequisite: Permission of the instructor.
Prerequisite: Permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the history, structure, and major operations of the United Nations.
- Identify the geographic locations of all United Nations' member states.
- Articulate informed opinions about issues of global importance.
- Write well-researched, well-articulated position papers from the perspective of a country other than the United States.
- Successfully employ United Nations’ rules of procedure in classroom simulations.
- Use diplomatic skills—such as public speaking, problem solving, consensus building, and conflict resolution—in classroom simulations.
- Successfully represent a foreign country’s diplomatic position in classroom simulations.