POLS 123 The United Nations • 5 Cr.
Researches a country in depth and prepares students for the National Model U.N. Conference in New York. Prerequisite: Permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Assess and evaluate issues of peace and security.
- Differentiate between problems and symptoms.
- Identify problem areas in the world and also in academic reasoning.
- Identify faulty reasoning, both in readings and world leader's reasoning.
- Identify cause and effect relations.
- Recognize alternative courses of action and determine the validity and effectiveness of alternative responses.
- Formulate solutions to world problems and re-evaluate solutions.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of writing resolutions and position papers.