POLS 204 Introduction to Comparative Politics • 5 Cr.
Introduces how societies and cultures organize their political, economic and social lives. Through comparison of political systems, students discover unique characteristics, challenges and opportunities as well as how political authority operates focusing on policy process, the economy, the role of citizens, and overall performance in a time of globalization.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of various political systems, institutions and processes
- Evaluate the ways in which different countries have shaped their political institutions and public policies and the costs and benefits of these choices
- Demonstrate understand the nature of the transitions to markets and democracy underway in formerly communist political systems
- Determine the opportunities and challenges of globalization in different political systems
- Demonstrate understanding of the major perspectives and theories that inform comparative politics
- Apply the comparative method to generalize about various political systems