POLS 222 Advanced United Nations II • 3 Cr.
Students write position papers, draft resolutions, and navigate the UN's rules of procedure in an attempt to mobilize international cooperation to resolve real international problems. Advanced students serve as mentors for introductory students participating in the Bellevue College Model United Nations program. Seminar format. Prerequisite: Instructor permission is required. Recommended: Completion of POLS 121, 122, and 123.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the history, structure, and major operations of the United Nations.
- Identify the geographic locations of all United Nations' member states.
- Articulate informed opinions about issues of global importance.
- Mentor first-year Model United Nations (MUN) students to successfully participate in college-level Model United Nations conferences.
- Serve in a leadership position in the Bellevue College (BC) MUN program—e.g., as President, Vice President, Secretary, Head Delegate, etc.
- Winter 2017 (current quarter)