PSYC& 220 Abnormal Psychology • 5 Cr.
Introduces the theories, diagnosis, and treatment of maladaptive behavior and psychological disorders. Class format may include field trips to psychiatric institutions. Prerequisite: PSYC& 100.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Articulate the criteria and controversy regarding the definition of abnormal behavior.
- Describe current practices of diagnosis, assessment and research (including DSM) in classifying disorders and determining their need for treatment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of historical/contemporary views of abnormality.
- Describe the major techniques and theoretical approaches to understaning and treating abnormal behavior.
- Identify the major diagnostic categories and discriminate among symptoms, proposed causes, and preferred treatments of each of the following disorders:
- Anxxiety Disorders
- Dissociative Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Addictive Disorders
- Sexual Disorders
- Organic Brain Disorders
- Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence
- Adjustment Disorders