PSYC 240 Social Psychology • 5 Cr.
Examines the actions of individuals and groups in a social context. Topics include the influence of social learning on attitudes, perception, and personality, persuasion, conflict, attraction, altruism, and aggression. Students who completed either PSYC 240 or SOC 240 before Summer Quarter 2013 may not take this course for credit. Recommended: PSYC& 100.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify and critique the research methods social psychologists use.
- Explain how social cognition influences beliefs, perceptions, explanations, and attitudes.
- Describe psychological and social influences on the following
- Attraction and Intimacy
- Conformity and obedience
- Group influence
- Persuasion o Prejudice
- Apply research findings in social psychology to real-life situations.
- Design simple psychological research projects involving data collection and write-ups.