RAIT 330 Breast Ultrasound for Sonographers • 3 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2017
Breast Ultrasound • 3 Cr.
Designed for ARDMS certified sonographers who want to gain didactic preparation level certification in breast ultrasound. Content covers all areas included in the breast specialty exam offered by the ARDMS. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program or permission of instructor.
Description starting Summer 2017
Designed for Mammographers or Sonographers who want to gain didactic preparation level certification in breast ultrasound. Reviews anatomy and physiology of the breast. Includes orientation to sectional imaging of the breast, correlation with mammographic images, and characterization of normal and abnormal findings from a sonographic viewpoint. Content covers all areas included in the breast specialty exam offered by the ARDMS. Prerequisite: Admission to the program and permission of the Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify appropriate instrumentation and ancillary equipment
- Correlate mammographic findings into scanning protocol
- Identify normal breast anatomy
- Distinguish between anatomy and artifact
- Identify an image and describe benign features versus malignant
- Identify an image and describe specific benign lesions.
- Identify an image and describe specific malignant lesions.
- Differentiate sonographic image appearance from other diagnostic images
- Describe procedural technique and instrumentation for ultrasound guided invasive procedures