RATEC 105 Introduction to Radiographic Technique • 3 Cr.
Introduces concepts of electromagnetic radiation necessary to understanding the production and control of x-radiation. Students learn how the radiographic image is created and what factors affect the appearance of that image. Prerequisite: Acceptance into program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe atomic structure, characteristics of x radiation, and the interactions of x-rays with matter.
- Explain the method of acquiring images for various image receptors.
- Evaluate images for quality factors.
- Develop an appreciation for acceptable range of technical factors.
- Discuss the effect of technical factors on the x-ray beam and the image.
- Ddentify and discuss the roles of filtration, grids, and patient condition that affect the quality of a radiographic image.
- Fall 2014 (current quarter)