RATEC 113 Clinical Education IV • 5 Cr.
Fourth in a series of supervised clinical education experiences. Students are assigned to clinical sites, 15 hours per week. Specific performance objectives are established for the student. Prerequisite: Acceptance into program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate continued competency by producing diagnostic radiographic images of the chest, abdomen, upper extremity, lower extremity, and pelvic girdle.
- Continue to produce a radiographic image of the chest and abdomen using a mobile x-ray system, and discern the diagnostic quality of the image.
- Produce diagnostic radiographic images of the spine, sternum, ribs, skull, paranasal sinuses, and face using the appropriate method, patient positioning and technique.
- Continue to identify when it is appropriate to use radiation protection, and demonstrate consistency in patient shielding.
- Set up and clean the radiographic rooms as necessary for the performance of exams of the spine, sternum, ribs, skull, paranasal sinuses, and face.
- Continue to evaluate the patient’s physical and mental status during the radiographic procedure, and identify and respond to emergency situations as warranted.
- Continue to demonstrate communication skills with patients by giving them clear concise instructions and providing appropriate information.
- Continue to demonstrate communication skills with co-workers by conversing on a professional level, asking questions at an appropriate time, and following directions consistently and accurately.
- Continue to demonstrate a professional work ethic by attending the clinical site on the assigned days, arriving on time, dressing according to BCC guidelines, and projecting a positive self- image.
- Continue to synthesize information learned in the classroom and apply the principles to the clinical setting.
- Continue to demonstrate behavior consistent with the Standards of Ethics and Rules and Regulations of the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).