SOC 105 Blacks in America • 5 Cr.
What does it mean to be ?Black? in America? Explore the social and cultural background of Blacks in America through the lens of sociology, and analyze the ways in which social institutions have been transformed by these contributions. Through research and writing, themes include music and popular culture, activism, politics, and/or social change.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the general social, economic, and political conditions of Blacks in the United States.
- Identify key contributions of Blacks to American social, political, and cultural life.
- Discuss “race,” “ethnicity,” and “racism” from a sociological perspective.
- Describe how class, sexuality, and gender shape the experience of race.
- Spring 2015 (current quarter)