SOC 215 Television, Culture and Society • 5 Cr.
How do we watch TV in the 21st century? Do we need a TV to watch TV? Study how television affects knowledge building, ways of thinking, and core elements of our social lives. Themes include television culture, how to understand news media, and the social history of television.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss the area of Television Studies in general from a sociological and Cultural Studies perspective;
- Explain and apply some of the basic tools of “reading television;”
- Describe the global history of Television;
- Critically analyze contemporary changes to the act of watching television, including the role of cable television, mobile phones, and the internet;
- Illustrate a critical understanding of the field of Television Studies, its history and its future; and
- Analyze the impact of Television on our private and public lives from a Cultural Sociological approach.
- Fall 2014 (current quarter)