SOC 215 Television, Culture and Society • 5 Cr.
How do we watch TV in the 21st century? Do we need a TV to watch TV? Study how television affects knowledge building, ways of thinking, and core elements of our social lives. Themes include television culture, how to understand news media, and the social history of television.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Critically analyze television using a sociological perspective.
- Describe changes to the act of watching television, including the role of cable television, mobile phones, and the internet.
- Explain and discuss how the intersections of race, class, and gender are represented and maintained specifically in television.
- Discuss the role of television in shaping our senses of Self and of each other.
- Fall 2016 (current quarter)