SOC 222 Sports in Society • 5 Cr.
Are sports an avenue for personal empowerment or a path to exploitation? What do sports mean in American society? Study the ways in which sports are embedded in social systems such as the economy, government, and education. Themes include race, class and gender issues, crime and violence in sport, and the economic impact of sport.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the role of sport as it relates to the socialization of children and young adults.
- Critically discuss the impacts of sport as it relates to social justice.
- Analyze the intersections of race, class, and gender issues within the context of sport.
- Describe the interconnectedness of sports and societal institutions.
- Summer 2015 (current quarter)