SOC 253 Men & Masculinities • 5 Cr.
What does it mean to be a ?real man? in contemporary society? What are the challenges of living up to the ideals of manhood? How are women impacted by men?s lives? Investigate the meanings of ?masculinity? and explore themes such as athletics and sports, male body image, pornography, alcohol use, fatherhood, military, and male bonding.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the difference between "sex" and "gender";
- Demonstrate how masculinity is socially constructed;
- Analyze the ways in which masculinity influences how boys become men;
- Understand how masculinity has changed historically;
- Critically assess the ways masculinity impacts men's lives, including sex, work, friendship, sports, and/or fatherhood; and
- Discuss the impacts of race, class, and sexuality on masculine identities.
- Spring 2014 (current quarter)