SOC 255 Dating, Relationships, and Families • 5 Cr.
How have courtship and dating changed? What does it mean to be a ?family?? Is ?the family? falling apart? Explore changes in the culture and structure of families, and analyze how families play a central role in American life. Themes include single parenting, new family structures, cohabitation, marriage and divorce, and/or courtship and dating.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the complexity of “family” as an idea, using a sociological perspective.
- Explain how families are connected to and shaped by culture and all the major social institutions, especially political and economic processes.
- Illustrate how gender, class, sexuality, and race structure intimate relationships.
- Debunk common myths about the family and relationships.
- Winter 2017 (current quarter)