SOC 258 Sociology of the Body • 5 Cr.
Examine how cultures think about the body. Explore how society shapes bodies and how humans "perform" individual and group identities through bodies and bodily manipulation. Themes may include tattooing and body piercing, beauty standards and plastic surgery, transgenderism, race/ethnicity, and disability.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain “the body” from a sociological perspective.
- Identify the role of culture, power, and group norms in shaping the presentations of our bodies.
- Assess the impacts of power, dominance, and inequality on our bodies.
- Analyze some of the major social problems connected to the body.
- Spring 2017 (current quarter)