SOC 262 Sociology of Race & Ethnicity • 5 Cr.
Examine the complexities of race and ethnicity in America. Themes include current events, representations in popular culture, the development of a racial self, and/or the interaction of race and social class.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- List basic approaches to the study of race and ethnicity
- Explain the difference between “race” and “ethnicity”
- Describe race an ethnic relations from a sociological perspective
- Articulate how race and ethnicity are social constructs
- Evaluate claims regarding the concept of race
- Recall key historical and sociological facts regarding race and ethnic groups
- Contrast the experiences of selected racial and ethnic groups in the U.S.
- Compare race and ethnic relations in the United States with selected non-U.S. countries
- Apply findings of race and ethnic research to one’s own life
- Winter 2017 (current quarter)