SOC 275 Technology in Everyday Life • 5 Cr.
What is the role technology plays in society and in your life? Dig deeply into the social realm of technology. Investigate how identities are created, re-created, and challenged through mediated technologies. Topics may include network societies, hyper-realities, the digital divide, and the global and social histories of technology.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Examine technology and media from a sociological and cultural studies perspective;
- Demonstrate a sociological understanding of mediated technologies;
- Describe the history and development of mediated technologies;
- Explain how technologies both create and perpetuate inequalities between peoples;
- Discuss the history of the field of Technology and Media Studies; and
- Analyze the impact of Mediated Technologies on our private and public lives.