SPAN& 122 Spanish II • 5 Cr.
Continues SPAN& 121. Format includes extensive audio and Internet usage. Prerequisite: SPAN& 121 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate listening comprehension skills by accurately writing in the target language what is heard, by answering questions related to the information given in a monologue, a dialogue or an interview provided by native speakers of different Spanish-speaking countries.
- Demonstrate speaking ability by expressing increasingly more complicated sentences, and utilizing accurate vocabulary and grammatical constructions in a prompted dialogue, an interview, or in open-ended questions. Produce original dialogues during pair/group activities and role-playing. Ask questions with proper intonation and provide general information about familiar topics in the present tense.
- Demonstrate reading comprehension skills by answering questions orally or in writing after reading a passage in the target language; deduce meaning about what was read by making educated guesses using cognates and context to assist in the comprehension process.
- Demonstrate writing ability by creating structurally correct affirmative, interrogative, and negative sentences in the present and past tenses for role-play situations or for descriptive paragraphs using familar vocabulary with minimum spelling errors. Increased precision in proper punctuation and application of accent marks.
- Identify cultural information through the introduction of theme-specific vocabulary, the description and recognition of photographs, as well as by viewing authentic video material centered on the world of the target language. Recognizing and talk about differences and similarities between the cultures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of parts of speech by correctly identifying the subject of a sentence, distinguishing between regular and irregular verbs in the present and past tense, and recognizing different pronouns categories. Show noun-verb and noun-adjective agreement, and accurately use nouns, adjectives, pronouns, adverbs, conjunctions, and prepositions.