Registration Terms and Jargon


Taking a class (and paying the tuition and fees) without getting grades or credits; if you audit a class it will appear permanently on your transcript records with a grade of “N.”

Credit load

Credit is recorded in quarter hours. Each quarter credit hour represents one 50-minute period of class time each week for a duration of 11 weeks, or the equivalent in laboratory time, field work, or approved independent study.

Continuing Education courses or non-credit

Registration for Continuing Education courses takes place at any time after the Continuing Education quarterly schedule is published and through the second class meeting on a space-available basis. Tuition and fees are listed with each class description in the Continuing Education schedule. Appointments are not necessary. You can register by mail, fax, e-mail, phone, or on the Continuing Education website.

Continuing Students

You are a “Continuing Student” if you are currently enrolled or have been absent for four quarters or less.  Continuing students register during their scheduled times at http://www.bellevuecollege.edu/services/

Entry Code

A 5-digit number you get from the division office, allowing you to register for a class that requires prerequisites or “permission of instructor.”

Full-time/Part-time credit load

For academic purposes, 12 credit hours are considered a full-time load and 6 credit hours are considered a part-time load. To complete a degree program within two years, you should average 15 credit hours per quarter.


To enroll in more than 18 credit hours per quarter, you must have a 3.0 cumulative grade-point average (GPA). If you do not meet this GPA requirement, you must request permission from the Vice President of Student Services.


A course that must be completed (often with a certain minimum grade) or a skill that must be demonstrated before you can enroll in a more advanced course (for example, first-year French is a prerequisite for second-year French). If you completed the prerequisite at another college or university, visit the Course Prerequisites website to learn how to verify completion of the prerequisite.

Transfer Students

You are a transfer student if you have attended some college classes at another college or university and plan to have some or all of your previous coursework apply to a degree or certificate at Bellevue College.  Transfer students apply for admission and follow the same registration process as new and former students. For more information about transferring credits to Bellevue College, visit the Transfer to Bellevue website.

Footer Navigation

Contact info

Bellevue College
3000 Landerholm Circle SE Bellevue, WA 98007-6484 U.S.A.
Work: (425) 564-1000