Transfer Credit Review
If you have earned college credits at another regionally accredited school prior to attending BC, you can request to have those credits reviewed for your degree or certificate program at BC. Here are guidelines for requesting a review of your previous coursework.
If you are a new student, bring a copy of your transcript(s) to the Educational Planning Advising Center. They will provide you with an unofficial review of your transfer coursework along with information on BC degree and certificate programs, course selection, registration, online advising tools, and more. Call 425-564-2212 for an appointment or go to their front desk at the Student Services Building, 2nd floor.
If you are a currently enrolled student or a returning student planning to earn an academic degree at BC, you may request an official evaluation of your transfer credits to determine how many of them will apply toward your intended BC degree.
To request an official transfer credit evaluation, you must satisfy both of the following two requirements
1. You are currently enrolled in credit classes OR have completed credits in the past at BC.
2. You plan to receive one of the following BC degrees:
in Arts and Sciences (DTA*)
- Associate in Business (DTA/MRP*)
- Associate in Elementary Education (DTA/MRP*)
- Associate in Math Education (DTA/MRP*)
in Science-Track 1
in Science-Track 2
- Associate in Science-Track 2 Engineering (MRP*)
- Associate in Arts in General Studies
If your degree or certificate is not listed above, see Section III below for Professional/Technical Programs
*DTA-Direct Transfer Agreement; MRP-Major Related Program
If both of the above two requirements are met, complete the following steps:
- Download and submit an Official Transfer Credit Evaluation Request Form [Adobe PDF] to the Evaluations Office. (This form is also available at the Student Services Center in B Building). Note: This form is only for students pursuing one of the degrees listed above in this Section. All other students should following the steps in Section III.
Submit official transcript(s) in sealed school envelopes. (If they are in a language other than English, also submit English translations from a BC approved translation service agency. A list of these agencies is available in the Evaluations Office)
- Submit course descriptions for courses that were completed prior to Fall 1994.
Policies for transfer-in credits:
- Semester credits are converted to quarter credits by multiplying 1.5. For example, one semester credit equals to 1.5 quarter credits, 3 semester credits equal to 4.5 quarter credits.
- Transfer courses are not listed on BC official transcript.
- A maximum of 60 transfer credits can be applied to a BC degree, or two-third of the required credits for your program.
- Transfer credits and grades are not included in your BC cumulative GPA, but they will be calculated into the degree or certificate GPA for graduation.
- Credits with less than a “D” or “1.0” grade are not counted toward graduation requirements.
- Processing time for transfer credit review may take up to 16 to 18 weeks depending on the number of requests. And the requests are processed according to the order they are received.
- You will receive an e-mail notification when the credit review is complete. After that, you can use the online Degree Audit to view how your previous credits are applied to your program at BC.
If you are pursuing a degree or certificate in a specific professional or technical program not listed in section II above, bring your transcript to the appropriate program chair. The program chair will review each transcript to determine possible transfer credit.
If you have studied abroad, you also need to follow the above listed procedures for requesting a credit review. Please read the following to learn the academic documents required for evaluations.
Official academic records (examination statements/statement of marks/marks sheets) showing subjects or courses studied per academic term/year with hours of instruction (lecture/laboratory/credits/units) and final examination results/grades/marks issued by the institution(s) where studies were completed. The academic documents must be submitted in an official sealed envelope from your previous institutions.
Proof of Graduation
If a program of study/training has been completed, proof of graduation in the form of a Certificate of Graduation, Matriculation Certificate, External Examination Certificate, Diploma, Degree, or Professional License is required.
High School or Secondary Education Credentials
For some situations, high school/secondary education records may be required for verification purposes, even if a high school evaluation is not requested. Some leaving certificates from select countries (e.g. Germany, Switzerland, UK, France, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Norway), may be requested for advanced standing consideration.
Non-English Academic Records
All academic documents which are not in English must be translated into English by a licensed translator or agency. Translations must be official or original, line-by-line, word-for-word and in the same format as the original-language documents. The original documents in the original language must also be submitted in a sealed envelope from your previous institutions.. Evaluations cannot be processed based on translations alone.
Once submitted, all official or original academic records and translations become the property of Bellevue College and will not be returned.
The below listed agencies provide evaluation and translations services for education completed overseas to determine the equivalency in the United States. You may choose to have your education credentials to be evaluated by them. Please note that some of our professional/technical programs may require you to have your overseas studies be evaluated by one of these agencies.
Bellevue College does not have any association with these agencies, but we accept their evaluation reports and translations as a reference to determine if the credits are acceptable. Though you need to pay a fee, their evaluation reports are not only acceptable for Bellevue College, you may use them for other institutions as well as employment purposes.
If you have obtained a credential evaluation from one of the following agencies and plan to apply credits to your degree or certificate at Bellevue College, you must submit the evaluation report and translation in a sealed envelope from the evaluation agency. The original documents in the original language must also be submitted in a sealed envelope from your previous institutions. .
World Education Services
Bowling Green Station
PO Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
To print the information for the above agencies, use the PDF copy of the list.
(PDF documents require Adobe Reader for viewing. Download Adobe Reader for free)
Evaluations Office, B125
3000 Landerholm Circle SE
Bellevue, WA 98007-6484