Types of Aid

There are many types of financial aid.  This page explains the types of aid available for you at Bellevue College.

Aid ProgramDescriptionAvailable for...
Federal Pell GrantUndergraduate grantAll Students*
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity GrantExceptionally needy student Undergraduate grantAll Students*
State Need GrantUndergraduate state grantWashington State Residents
BC GrantLimited institu­tional fundsWashington State Residents
State Work StudyProvides employmentWashington State Residents
Federal Work StudyProvides EmploymentAll Students*
Stafford Loans Subsidized/ UnsubsidizedFederal loan programAll Students*
Parent Loans (PLUS)Loans for parents of dependent studentsAll Students*

*Attention non-Washington State residents interested in enrolling in Bellevue College online classes.

New US Department of Education regulations may affect Bellevue’s ability to accept your application at this time. We regret that Bellevue College cannot offer distance education classes to students who live in Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico and Texas..

Federal grants

Bellevue College (BC) offers two types of federal grants: the Federal Pell Grant, and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG). These grants are considered “gift aid” and do not require repayment provided that you complete your courses.  Eligibility for federal grants is determined by the Financial Aid Office after you have completed the financial aid application process. 

Federal Pell Grant

Pell Grants are the foundation of federal student financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added. Pell Grants are generally awarded only to undergraduate students—those who haven’t earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree. Amounts can change yearly. The maximum award for the 2014-15 award year will be $5,730. The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law to the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant Funding.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOGs are awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need—those with the lowest Expected Family Contribution* (EFC) numbers. Federal Pell Grant recipients receive priority for FSEOG awards. The amount of the award is determined by your school’s financial aid office. Unlike Pell Grants, the amount of FSEOGs you receive depends not only on your financial need but also on the amount of other aid you get and the availability of funds at your school.


Other grants

Washington State Need Grant

The Washington State Need Grant is another form of “gift aid” that doesn’t have to be repaid providing you complete your courses.  This grant is available to you if you’re a Washington State resident with high financial need. Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office after you’ve completed the financial aid application process.

State Need Grant is now available for non-citizen (Dreamer) students. Students will need to fill out the WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) starting April 1, 2014.

Resources to support DREAMers and DACA.

Bellevue College Grant

The Bellevue College Grant is another form of “gift aid” that does not have to be repaid.  This grant is available to you if you’re a Washington State resident with high financial need. Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid office after you’ve completed the financial aid application process. 

Federal loans

Direct Stafford Loan Program

Student loans are a low-interest federal loan which require repayment.  BC participates in the Direct Stafford Loan program which provides the best benefits for you as a borrower.  This program is not a credit history-based program.  Both subsidized and unsubsidized loans are available.   Get full details about this option and how to apply.

Federal Parent PLUS Loan Program

The Federal Parent PLUS loan program is a credit-based loan program available to all qualifying parents. You’ll first need to complete the FAFSA before your parents can borrow money under this program. You must also fill out a BC plus loan application. If your parents are denied the loan because of their credit rating, if you’re a dependent student (as defined by the FAFSA) you can usually borrow additional funds under this loan program. Contact our office if this situation applies to you.


Work-study programs offer you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while earning money for college. Some jobs can be a great opportunity to enhance your current course work as well as gain valuable real-world work experience.


Scholarships are normally considered “gift aid” because they don’t need to be repaid. There are thousands of scholarships with many different eligibility criteria and many different types of applications.  Donors set their eligibility criteria in ways that help to direct their funds to the type of education or job training they want to support.  BC provides a Scholarships website which highlights a number of great scholarships available including scholarships offered by the BC Foundation.

Private loans

Most banks and credit unions offer educational loans. We recommend contacting several banks and/or credit unions to find the most competitive rates and benefits which best meet your needs. Private loans can cost more than the loans available from the Federal government under the Stafford loan program.

BC Waiver

The BC Waiver is a unique funding option available to students who are otherwise not receiving and/or not eligible for federal or state funds through the BC Financial Aid Office. Eligible students are required to be pursuing a certificate or degree program. The waiver only covers tuition; students are responsible for paying any fees. For complete eligibility criteria and how to apply, please refer to the BC Waiver form.