What you need to know about Graduation
To graduate, you must meet the college and program requirements. Only college requirements are listed in this section. Requirements of individual program appear in the section pertaining to the program concerned.
Degree or Certificate Completion Overview
You are responsible for getting familiar with requirements and regulations applicable to your degree or certificate. It is also your responsibility make sure the classes that you are enrolled in or plan to enroll in add up to the required credit total.
We strongly recommend that you meet with an academic advisor before submitting an application for a BC degree or certificate.
Applications for degrees or certificates must be filed two quarters prior to the quarter in which the degree or certificate is to be received (see below for specific application deadline). Complete instructions and application forms are available in the Evaluations/Graduation Office.
Basic Graduation Requirements for Bachelor’s degree
- Complete a total of at least 180 applicable college level quarter credits
- Complete all requirements in the specified curriculum
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 in all coursework taken at BC
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better in all courses applied to the degree, including credits transferred from other colleges
- Achieve a minimum grade of “C” or better in all core program courses
- Complete at least 45 credits for the degree in residence at Bellevue College, of which 30 credits must be upper division.
For specific degree requirements, please visit the website for Degrees and Certificates.
Basic Graduation Requirements for Associate degree and Certificate
- Complete a total of at least 90 applicable college level quarter credits for associate degree
- Complete a total of at least 45 applicable college level quarter credits for certificate of achievement
- Complete all degree/certificate requirements in the specified curriculum.
- Earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in all coursework taken at BC.
- Earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or better in all courses applied to the degree/certificate, including credits transferred from other colleges.
- Complete at least one-third of all the credits applicable toward the degree or certificate in residence at BC.
For specific program requirements, please visit the website for Degrees and Certificates.
- Submit an application to the Evaluations/Graduation Office for each degree or certificate requested.
- Pay the required processing fee for each application.
- Submit official transcripts for credits transferred from other colleges.
Exceptions to Graduation Requirements
Exception to degree or certificate requirements must be petitioned through the Evaluations/Graduation Office. Approval of exceptions must be obtained from the program chair and the Division Dean (as designee for the Vice President of Instruction) where appropriate.
Use the following resources to help you understand the policy and procedures:
- Select the link below to view the college policy on exceptions to graduation requirements: Exceptions to Degree or Certificate Requirements
- Select the link below to download and print the petition form for exceptions to degree or certificate requirements: Petition form for Exceptions (in PDF format)
- Select the link below to view the procedure flow chart for professional/technical programs. Petition Procedure Flow Chart (in PDF format) (This flow chart is for professional/technical programs only. Students in transfer degree programs should contact the Evaluations/Graduation Office directly.)
Remember: final responsibility for meeting graduation requirements resides with you!
(PDF documents require Adobe Reader for viewing. Download Adobe Reader for free)
Effective Date for Graduation Requirements
If you are in a professional/technical program, you may elect to graduate under the provisions of the official catalog in effect at the time you first started at the college OR at the time you apply to graduate, as long as:
- five years have not lapsed
- you remained continuously enrolled at the college
If you are in a transfer degree program, you should follow current degree requirements to ensure transferability to four-year baccalaureate colleges or universities.
The quarterly application deadlines are as follows
- Summer: March 15th
- Fall: June 1st
- Winter: October 10th
- Spring: December 10th
Graduation with Honors
We encourage you to achieve the highest level of scholarship in pursuit of your educational goals. If you have earned an associate degree or certificate of achievement and have achieved high cumulative grade-point averages in all coursework completed at Bellevue College, you will be recognized as follows:Graduation with Honors
- With Distinction: average 3.50-3.74 GPA
- With High Distinction: average 3.75-4.0 GPA
If you have earned a bachelor’s degree and have achieved high cumulative grade-point average in coursework completed at Bellevue College, you will be recognized as follows:
- Cum laude: average 3.60-3.79 GPA
- Magna cum laude: average 3.80-3.99 GPA
- Summa cum laude: 4.0 GPA
The distinction will be included on Bellevue College official transcripts, diplomas and the commencement program. Credits transferred to Bellevue College from other colleges are not included in the calculation of the cumulative grade-point average for distinction recognition.