Beginning Fall 2015, the CAHIMS Preparation Certificate program has been placed on hold.
The CAHIMS preparation certificate is designed to prepare those who already possess an associate’s degree or equivalent experience in IT or in healthcare and are looking to transition into career pathways in health IT. This certificate focuses is on the roles and responsibilities of entry-level health IT specialists in each phase of the health information management systems lifecycle. The course in this certificate are aligned to the new CAHIMS (Certified Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems) credential administered by HIMSS (Health Information Management Systems Society) which means that certificate recipients would be well-suited to sit for the CAHIMS credential. Note: Participation in this program does not in any way guarantee that students will pass the credentialing exam.
The Department of Labor, Education, and Training Administration has provided funding for aspects of this program including:
- Job search assistance
- Career development resources and workshops
- Academic support
- Transition services for military veterans
- Veterans Resources offers career assistance and includes links to services that help military families in the community
Upon completion, certificate recipients should possess the following skills and abilities:
- Describe and compare basic characteristics, interrelationships, and services of different types of healthcare organizations
- Discuss the impact of commonly accepted laws, regulations, accreditation, and other state and local rules that govern the healthcare industry, with an emphasis on privacy and security
- Identify significant business trends affecting the healthcare field and discuss their potential impact on providers and customers
- Describe best practices to support ethical behaviors, communication, leadership and professionalism in healthcare organizations
- Describe the role and characteristics of various IT applications and systems commonly used in healthcare
- Discuss significant technology trends affecting the health IT field
- Describe organizational policies and procedures to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data
- Explain the key steps, strategies and roles that support health information management systems analysis and design
- Explain the key steps, strategies and roles that support health information management systems selection and acquisition
- Explain the key steps, strategies and roles that support health information management systems implementation and management
- Explain the key steps, strategies and roles that support health information management systems testing and evaluation
- Discuss the role of health IT specialists in each phase of the health information management systems lifecycle
A background in either an IT-related or Healthcare-related field is strongly recommended.
Funded by the Department of Labor, Education and Training Administration, Grant # TC-23745-12-60-A-53