Healthcare IT Certificate of Achievement
The certificate in Healthcare IT prepares students who already have significant experience in either an IT-related field, or a health profession, to transition into the Healthcare IT workforce as effective members of teams that manage and perform the customization, implementation, integration and maintenance of healthcare information systems, data and components. The certificate in Healthcare IT is for those who already possess a bachelor’s degree. It provides the same technical preparation as the Healthcare IT BAS degree concentration but does not require the same general education courses required for the degree.
Upon completion, certificate recipients should possess the following skills and abilities:
- Apply knowledge of current and emerging data standards and principles of interoperability
- Comply with all healthcare laws and regulations relation to information security, privacy and protected health information, and meet institutional accreditation and certification requirements.
- Contribute to systems integration and perform information technology systems customization to meet the needs of the healthcare organization.
- Contribute to process improvement through the redesign of healthcare workflow and information management practices to better leverage the capabilities of new information technology systems.
- Gather, identify and document requirements for technology solutions, working closely with clinical and non-clinical stakeholders.
- Serve as liaison between technical and clinical functions to support users, including training and documenting the use of new technologies.
- An associate degree in an IT-related or health records/health management field
- Database course or experience (BTS 168 – Business Data Management Tools or equivalent course work)
- SQL course or experience (BUSIT 103 – SQL Fundamentals or equivalent course work)
- Networking course or experience (IT 103 – Networking Basics or equivalent course work)