Critical Thinking & Information Literacy
Across the Curriculum
Assignment for Engineering 210 and Engineering 220
Implement a report/presentation component to Statics and Mechanics
(ENGR 210 and ENGR 220)
Students will find an engineering related topic of their choice
and prepare a report summarizing their findings from: texts,
periodicals, and web based information.
Report will detail sources and compare information gleaned, in regards
to: content, conflicting information, and errors or unsubstantiated
A brief presentation may be required (unsure of class time logistics).
How to prepare students for the project:
- Will provide instruction on database searching for texts and
- EBSCO Host
- Other Libraries: UW, KCLS
- Refinements: Boolean, wildcard *, following threads.
- Will provide tips and strategies for web-based searching.
- Will discuss evaluating validity of information.
EBSCO Host www.metacrawler.com www.altavista.com
Must AND all; (can also use +) +
Include OR any (default)
Exclude NOT - -
Grouping " " phrase; " " " "
Wildcard * * *
- Find info about optical character recognition.
- Find info about hydraulic/pneumatic cylinders.
- Using EBSCO Host, find information from periodicals about
metal matrix material.
- Using EBSCO Host, find information from a text about
- On the WEB, look for information about the topics 1) and 2) above.
- On the WEB, find out how to put together a bibliographical
reference to an article in a periodical.
Library Media Center
3000 Landerholm Circle S.E.
Bellevue, Washington 98007-6484
© Copyright Bellevue Community College; all rights reserved.
Permission is granted to copy these materials for educational
provided complete acknowledgement is included.
Updated August 25, 2003