Across the Curriculum
Terri Perkins - Literacy Assignment #1
Bellevue Community College
ASSOCIATE DEGREE NURSING PROGRAM
N101 - MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING I
Critical Thinking and Information Literacy Assignment #1 - Winter 1998
To help the student become familiar with a variety of different types of information. In addition, the student will have the opportunity to evaluate information and its source.
THIS ASSIGNMENT IS DUE IN TERRI PERKINS'S MAILBOX ON HER OFFICE DOOR (J135) BY NOON, FRIDAY, JANUARY 23, 1998.
- Choose a topic related to either:
- A post-operative complication (e.g., pulmonary emboli, wound infection, compartmental syndrome apnea, etc.)
- A specific nursing care related to a particular surgical procedure (e.g., nursing care of the client who underwent cholecystectomy, radical mastectomy, post-knee replacement, etc.)
NOTE: Whatever topic you choose for this assignment, it will be your topic for your term paper for N102, Spring Quarter 1998.
- Compile a bibliography of at least 15 citations on your topic. Include at least one citation from each of the following:
- medical dictionary
- nursing textbook (one that is NOT required by the BCC AD Nursing program)
- nursing journal (e.g., RN, American Journal of Nursing, Nursing98, etc.)
- popular magazine
- source from the King County Library (not available at BCC)
- source from the University of Washington medical library
- reference book (not a textbook)
- medical index (such as CINAHL, MedLine)
b. Include at least one citation from two different search engines (e.g., Alta Vista, Yahoo, Magellan, Excite, InfoSeek, MetaCrawler, etc.)
Use APA (visit the Writing Lab to obtain APA style guide sheets) style sheet for the bibliography format and be consistent in citing your sources.
For 10 out of the 15 citations, include a 3 to 4 sentence annotation describing the citation. The following is a list of some things you might include in your annotation. It is not necessary to include all these points in each annotation, but do include those that are helpful to the person who might want to use your annotated bibliography.
- who is the author
- if the author has a definite bias
- who is the intended audience
- information source (is this personal opinion, interview, original research, library research, etc.?)
- why the information was made available (does the author want to prove a point, discuss a point, describe a situation, etc.?)
- what is the author's conclusion
- significant attachments (such as charts, photos, diagrams, etc.)
You must type or word-process your annotated bibliography. Each citation may be single spaced. Two spaces (lines) should be placed between citations. Arrange citations alphabetically by author (or title, if no author is given).
You may work with a partner on this assignment and turn in one copy of your combined efforts (with both names, please). HOWEVER, you must expand the number of citations to 25 and 15 of these must be annotated.
Please see Terri Perkins if you have any questions about this assignment.
Please attach this grade sheet to your assignment.
GRADING CRITERIA POINTS POSSIBLE POINTS EARNED COMMENTS Topic is either a post-op complication or nursing care of specific surgical client 1 Has the required number of citations 1 Citations cited using APA style 1 Citations derived from each requested source 1 Citations related to topic chosen 1 Assignment typed in correct format 1 Spelling, punctuation, and grammar 1 Correct number of annotations are included 1 Each annotation includes at least three of the suggested issues 1 Assignment turned in by due date 1 TOTAL POINTS Possible
Achieved GENERAL COMMENTS:
Library Media Center
3000 Landerholm Circle S.E.
Bellevue, Washington 98007-6484
© Copyright Bellevue Community College; all rights reserved.
Permission is granted to copy these materials for educational purposes
provided complete acknowledgement is included.
Updated August 25, 2003