Across the Curriculum
Terri Perkins - Literacy Assignment #3
Bellevue Community College
ASSOCIATE DEGREE NURSING PROGRAM
N101 - MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING I
Critical Thinking and Information Literacy Assignment #3 - Winter 1998
- To assist the student in examining the first step of the nursing process (assessment) within the format of a case study.
- To assist the student in searching for information through the use of reference articles.
- Find an article from a current nursing journal which describes a case study of a client with either the post-operative complication or the surgery you chose for assignment #2.
- Make a copy of this article. Using a highlighter, highlight all the initial assessment data provided in the case study (all the data provided prior to the beginning of treatment).
- Attach a separate piece of paper to the front of the article and answer the following questions:
- Did the author cluster the data provided? How?
- Did the author describe any efforts to validate the data? If so, what were they?
- Is these additional data you would like to collect on the client in this case study?
- Choose one reference from the author's article and write a paragraph (approximately 50 to 100 word) describing why you believe the author found this article helpful in preparing their article.
Please see Terri Perkins if you have any questions about this assignment.
Please attach this grade sheet to your assignment.
GRADING CRITERIA POINTS POSSIBLE POINTS EARNED COMMENTS Located a case study related to topic 1 Highlighted initial assessment data 1 Identified method of clustering data used by author 1 Addressed the issue of validating data given in case study 1 Identified additional data desired 1 Located a reference from the article 1 Discussed relevancy of reference to case study article 1 Wrote evaluation of reference article using correct spelling, punctuation and grammar 2 Assignment turned in by due date 1 TOTAL POINTS Possible
Achieved GENERAL COMMENTS:
Library Media Center
3000 Landerholm Circle S.E.
Bellevue, Washington 98007-6484
© Copyright Bellevue Community College; all rights reserved.
Permission is granted to copy these materials for educational purposes
provided complete acknowledgement is included.
Updated August 25, 2003