Created at the request of students, faculty, and staff of color, MCS Scholars is a culturally-responsive year-long college success initiative for new students of color with a special emphasis on African American, Latino/a and Native students. Instruction and curriculum design is based on principles of multicultural pedagogy.
Who is eligible for MCS Scholars?
Currently new to first-time-to-college and transfer African American, Latino/a and Native students who have assessed into the following English classes: Developmental English 071/072/073/074 (STEPS) and 092/ 093. We are planning to expand the eligibility to continuing students who are facing challenges in the classroom.
Why MCS Scholar?
Increased GPA and community building: Students who started in Fall 2011 cohort earned an average GPA of 2.45 and had a year over year retention of 89%.
What a few of the MCS Scholars’ students are saying:
- “I learned that I too can be successful in college if I have the right skills and habits. This class taught me how to study better.”
- “I did not know what it took to be successful in college until now. Thank you for making me part of the MCS Scholars.”
- “This is just what I needed to get started at BC. I have friends I can study with who understand where I am coming from.”
Benefits of Partcipation
Social and Relational
- Be part of a very special group of academically successful students
- Experience being part of an academic and social group
- Opportunity to develop fellowship, and support with other students and staff who are part of this initiative
- Invitation and priority consideration for selected Student Conferences, programs, and Luncheons
- A designated faculty/staff mentor who can serve as your personal guide and mentor
- Facilitate communication with your instructors and look out for your academic well being
- Problem solving for other important issues that impact your academic and personal success at Bellevue College.
- Option to re-assess in Math and English for FREE
- Priority selection into TRiO program for eligible students. TRiO eligible (1st generation college student registered for 12 or more credits).
- TRiO Program gives you access to: textbooks, laptops, borrowing graphing calculators, university visits, and a computer lab dedicated to your use
- FREE assessment of one of the following: MBTI or the STRONG assessment
- Once a month session with your Multicultural Services academic coach to assess your academic and non-academic needs
- MCS tutoring in Math, English, and other subjects
- Scholarship application assistance
- Assistance with managing your money