1600P NOTIFICATION OF REGISTERED SEXUAL OFFENDER(S) (PROCEDURES)
Original Date: 3/19/2002 * Last Revision Effective: 9/11/2012
Policy Contact: Vice President, Student Services
The following procedures are established to meet the requirements for implementing policy #1600 - Notification of Registered Sexual Offender(s).
- Upon notification from law enforcement that a sexual offender has registered or intends to register, the vice president of student services will be informed. All official notifications to the college community shall come from the office of the vice president of student services. Requests for additional information will be referred to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Upon learning of the enrollment/presence of a convicted sexual offender at Bellevue College, the vice president of student services will take the following steps:
- Obtain additional information, as necessary, from law enforcement.
- Meet with president and/or her staff and review relevant information to assess safety issues posed for currently enrolled students and the early learning center.
- Meet with the convicted offender to make him or her aware of the notification procedure. Other than the notification procedure, convicted sex offenders will receive the same rights and privacy protections provided to all students.
- Notification will correspond with the classification level in the following manner:
- Level I – Low Risk
- President’s staff
- Deans/ associate deans/vice presidents of instruction and student services
- Director of the early learning center
- Level II – Medium Risk
- All Level I notifications
- Information to college employees via campus ALL BC OFFICIAL email and portal advising there is a Level II Offender enrolled on campus
- Level III – High Risk
- All Level I and Level II notifications
- “Public notification: sex offender release” (picture, name and other information provided by the law enforcement agency) posted on various bulletin boards around campus including the public safety office, early learning center, student services building, bookstore, cafeteria, gymnasium, library, learning support center, computer labs, and other areas frequented by students.
- Notification of all underage students and their parents registered in classes with the offender.
- All students registered in class with offender.
- Contact the offender’s instructors.
Revisions 1/11/2005; 3/22/2005; 10/23/2007; 5/21/2009; 9/11/2012