3110 AWARD OF NON-TRADITIONAL CREDIT
Original Date: 4/14/2009 * Last Revision Effective: 9/11/2012
Policy Contact: Vice President, Instruction
The college awards non-traditional credit for prior experiential learning. Credit may be awarded for work completed in private study, at non-accredited institutions, or for certificates/trainings. Credit is awarded through examination, evaluation of certification/training, or submission of portfolio or other form of assessment. Certain conditions apply:
- The student must be registered at the college for the quarter in which non-traditional credits are requested.
- The student must have completed ten (10) quarter credit hours at the college.
- Credits awarded are identified as such on the student’s transcript, and are not calculated into the GPA.
- Non-traditional credits do not count toward residence requirements.
- The number of non-traditional credits awarded cannot exceed 25% of the total number of credits for a degree or a certificate.
Transferability of these credits will be subject to the policies of the receiving institution.
- The organizational unit administrator has responsibility for enforcing procedures that accompany the policy.
- Knowledge-building or skills attainment that occurs prior to enrollment or outside of enrollment at a post-secondary institution. (Zucker, B., Johnson, C., & Flint, T. (1999). Prior Learning Assessment: A Guidebook to American Institutional Practices. Chicago, Council for Adult & Experiential Learning).
RELEVANT LAWS AND OTHER RESOURCES
- Bellevue College Procedure #3110P Award of Non-Traditional Credit
- SBCTC Guidelines for Prior Learning Assessment
- NWCCU Accreditation Policy 2.3 Credit for Prior Experiential Learning
Revisions 3/10/2010 (Replaces 3110 Award of Credit for Prior Learning); 9/11/2012
Board of Trustees