6620P GUIDELINES FOR EMPLOYERS AND RECRUITERS (PROCEDURES)
Original Date: 6/11/1992 * Last Revision Effective: 9/24/2012
Policy Contact: President
Some businesses come to the college to recruit students for jobs which require them to purchase products or training as part of being hired by that company. Bellevue College has enacted the following guidelines implemented by the career center to protect Bellevue College students from employers and recruiters who may not have the students’ best interest in mind. These guidelines prevent on-campus recruitment of students into employment that does not offer pay for each hour worked or uses other questionable recruiting practices.
Bellevue College has the right to refuse service if an organization has any unresolved investigations and/or complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau, office of the attorney general, consumer complaints, et.al.
Career Center Sponsored Employer
In order to be sponsored by the career center the employer must meet the following criteria. Employers must sign a statement which verifies:
- They will provide guaranteed hourly wage or salary that is not based on a minimum deliverable of sales or performance.
- They will not offer commission-only positions.
- They will not require any equipment or products to be purchased by the prospective employee in order to earn their wage. This is true prior to being hired, after the employment offer and after employment has commenced.
- They will not charge for any training that is required prior to employment starting. Required training must also have an hourly wage the prospective employee will earn.
- They are an equal opportunity employer.
- They comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
A student employment representative will be named as the contact person. A clearly identifiable sponsorship from the career center will be displayed by the employer. Employers are welcome to bring company information, logos, application and informational brochures. A 6 x 2’ table will be reserved in the cafeteria for specific date(s) and time(s). There is no charge for the sponsorship.
Employers who cannot meet the criteria to be sponsored by the career center may be allowed to recruit on campus by contacting the office of the vice president of student services at (425) 564-2205. A fee will be charged for using a campus facility. The employer will display a clearly identifiable sign from the career center that this is NOT a sponsored employer.
Revisions 5/10/2005; 5/21/2009; 9/24/2012