7450 COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY
Original Date: 9/8/1992 * Last Revision Effective: 5/21/2009
Policy Contact: President
To promote the mission of Bellevue College it is often necessary to engage in commercial activities that provide goods and services that meet special needs of students, faculty, staff, and members of the public participating in college activities and events.
RCW 28B.63 establishes standards for institutions of higher education to follow in conducting commercial activities. The purpose of the policy is to assure that Bellevue College pursues commercial activities in compliance with RCW 28B.63 and that all commercial activities of the college serve the mission of the college.
Bellevue College may engage in the providing of goods, services, or facilities for a fee only when such are directly and substantially related to the educational mission of the college. Fees charged for goods, services, and facilities shall reflect their full direct and indirect costs, including overhead. They shall also take into account the price of such items in the private marketplace.
- “Commercial activity” means an activity which provides a product or service for a fee which could be obtained from a commercial source. This definition shall be used to determine which activities shall be governed by this policy, except that this policy shall not apply to:
- the initiation of or changes in academic or vocational programs of instruction in the college’s regular, extension, evening or continuing education programs;
- fees for services provided in the practicum aspects of instruction;
- extracurricular programs, including food services, athletic and recreational programs, and performing arts programs.
RELEVANT LAWS AND OTHER RESOURCES
- Board of Trustees Resolution 213
- RCW 28B.63
- WAC 132H-133-050
- Bellevue College Procedure #7450P Commercial Activity
Revisions 1/5/2003; 3/22/2005; 5/21/2009
Board of TrusteesPresident's Staff