2450P Withdrawal from a Course (Procedures)
Original Date: 9/1/1995 * Last Revision Effective: 4/6/2015
Policy Contact: Vice President, Student Affairs
Withdrawal from a course is the termination of the student’s registration in that course. Withdrawals are classified as official only when the student withdraws via the web, submits a completed add/drop form to the registration office, or submits a signed request in writing. The criteria used for determining grading and recording procedures for official withdrawals during the academic year (Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters) follow.
- Through the tenth day of the quarter, the dropped course does not become part of the transcript record. The instructor’s signature is not required.
- After the tenth school day and through the end of the seventh week of the quarter, the grade of “W” will become part of the student’s transcript record regardless of grade status at this time. The instructor’s signature is not required.
- No official withdrawal will be permitted after the start of the eighth week of the quarter. Faculty may assign an “HW” grade for a hardship withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances that may have occurred after the withdrawal period.
- A student who finds it necessary to withdraw completely from the college due to illness or military reassignment must comply with the procedures listed above. The vice president of student affairs may grant exceptions and authorize late withdrawals due to extraordinary circumstances. Students must submit appeals for exceptions in writing and provide documentation to support the claim of extraordinary circumstances.
- If a student stops attending classes without meeting the enrollment calendar and/or documentation requirements, the withdrawal will not be considered official and may result in a failing grade on the transcript. Moreover, the student will forfeit any refund which might otherwise be due.
Note: During the Summer Quarter the calendar for withdrawals is different. Students are encouraged to consult the quarterly schedule or online services for calendar information.
Revisions 3/22/2005; 5/21/2009; 4/6/2015