Original Date: 4/30/1998 * Last Revision Effective: 4/6/2015
Policy Contact: Vice President, Student Affairs
Bellevue College implements policy contained in this chapter in compliance with Public Law 93-380, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (“FERPA”). This law establishes that the education records of students attending or having attended the college are confidential and can be released only with written permission of the student. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act also authorizes the college to release so-called “directory information” without that prior written permission.
The college has adopted procedures to implement the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Questions pertaining to the procedures and their implementation should be directed to the vice president of student affairs.
- is that information routinely released without the student’s permission. This includes: name of student, student’s email address, degree or certificate awarded, dates of attendance, athletic statistics, scholarships received, membership or office in BC Student Government or honor society, part-time time or full time student status, previous schools attended.
- any record (in handwriting, print, tapes, film, computer, e-mail, or other medium) maintained by Bellevue College or an agent of the college which is directly related to a student, except:
- A personal record kept by a staff member if it is kept in the sole possession of the maker of the record and is not accessible or revealed to any other person except a temporary substitute for the maker of the record.
- Records created and maintained by public safety for law enforcement purposes.
- An employment record of an individual whose employment is not contingent on the fact that he or she is a student (work-study employment is NOT an exception), provided that the record is used only in relation to the individual’s employment.
- Records made or maintained by the counseling center, if the records are used only for treatment of a student and are made available only to those persons providing the treatment.
- Alumni records which only contain information about a student after he or she is no longer in attendance at the college and which information does not relate to the person as a student.
- any person who attends or has attended Bellevue College.
Relevant Laws and Other Resources
- 20 USC 1232g
- 34 C.F.R. 89
- WAC 132H-410-010 through 110
- Bellevue College Procedure #2600P Family Education Rights and Privacy Act: Disclosure of Student Information
Revisions 7/10/2001; 3/22/2005; 5/21/2009; 4/6/2015
Board of Trustees
Last Updated April 6, 2015