5160 Bellevue College Network and Internet Usage
Original Date: 7/15/2008 * Last Revision Effective: 9/13/2012
Policy Contact: Vice President, Information Resources
Bellevue College operates a private telecommunications network as part of its physical infrastructure. The purpose of this policy is to clearly delineate the limitations of the Internet and computing technology access available through that network.
This policy applies to all networked computing technology available on campus and to all users of that technology. This includes access to both internal network services and to the wider Internet via the college network, through both wired and wireless means.
Bellevue College’s Internet access is through a private network provided exclusively for the benefit of Bellevue College students, employees, staff, visitors, conference attendees, invitees and other directly involved in campus life and the academic community. The private Bellevue College network is available through both wired and wireless terminals, but access is not extended to the public at-large.
To ensure the continued privacy of the Bellevue College network, security measures, policies and standards are implemented to only grant access to the network through campus facilities or through authorized user authentication and access codes, such as login accounts and passwords.
Public access to the Bellevue College wireless network is not allowed. Any potential public access to the Bellevue College network which may extend beyond the physical confines of the college, such as through wireless networking, will be configured by Bellevue College technical support personnel to require the registration of such a wireless devise by an authorized Bellevue College user prior to granting network access.
The major responsibilities of each party in connection with this policy are as follows:
Information Resources (IR)
- Responsibility for maintenance and administration of this policy rests with the vice president of information resources. IR is responsible for drafting any updates and changes to the policies and procedures, with input from the technology advisory committee. After appropriate campus review and final approval by the college president, IR will announce the new or revised policy to the campus, providing a brief description of the policy and its implications for employees and other affected individuals or groups.
Technology Advisory Committee (TAC)
- The technology advisory committee (TAC) is responsible for reviewing Bellevue College technology strategies and serving as a conduit for dialogue between IR and the campus regarding all technology policies and procedures. Membership of this group is representative of the campus, and supports the vice president of information resources by advocating for and presenting the campus technology needs.
Relevant Laws and Other Resources
- Bellevue College Policy #5250 Information Technology (IT) Security
- Bellevue College Policy #4400 Acceptable Use of State Resources
- Bellevue College Policy #5150 Acceptable Use of Bellevue College Networks and Systems
- Bellevue College Policy #5300 Computer Labs
- Bellevue College IT Security Standards addressing:
IT Security Program and Strategy
Password Management Exceptions
Wireless Network Configuration and Management
Revision 5/21/2009; 9/13/2012