WORKING IN ENGLISH is a class that is offered free to the ESL community living in Bellevue. In class, students learn specific strategies about how to communicate with their supervisors, co-workers, and customers. At the end of the class, students leave with stronger communication skills and more success in their current jobs, as well as more confidence to succeed in a better job.
REQUIRED TEXT BOOK: Job Success, by New Reader Press, ISBN# 9781564204974, available in the Bellevue College Bookstore
THIS CLASS WOULD BE GOOD FOR STUDENTS WHO ARE:
• Currently working or interested in working in the U.S.
• Interested in working as a volunteer or in a paid position.
• ESL levels 4/ 5 (intermediate/ high intermediate levels).
• Ready to attend all classes and complete all assignment
IN THIS CLASS, STUDENTS WILL LEARN TO:
- Write or email a message to a supervisor
- Request a schedule change
- Complete work forms including a repair order and accident report
- Set job related goals
- Read job announcements and newsletters
- Read safety warnings, work forms, and an employee benefits manual
- Read a paycheck and pay stub
SPEAK / LISTEN
- Ask clarification questions when they don’t understand
- Ask the manager or supervisor to change their work schedule
- Understand, follow and respond to instructions from their supervisor
- Report a safety hazard
- Use small talk in the workplace
- Deal with mistakes
- Ask for elaboration
Last Updated March 10, 2016