How Food Affects Health & Environment

For the past couple weeks, my Tourette’s has been extremely violent and frequent. I’d run into walls, thrust the nape of my neck backwards until a feel a slight pain, and little things like a generic specific pen on campus triggered my tics. Just thinking about this specific orange and white colored Campus Activities Board (CAB) pen that is all over campus makes me want to smack something (or myself).  The reason is perhaps because of the frozen food my parents stacked in the freezer before they left to Vietnam.

How is Tourette’s and Frozen food related, you ask? I’m so you glad you asked! We have to admit that frozen food is NOT good for one’s health. Everything from the preservatives, additives, flavor enhancers, color dyes, and the low nutrition. I could extend beyond that by mentioning the packaging, shipment, and storage requirement that creates more carbon footprint on earth. My parents have been away from two weeks and three days ago, I started to eat healthier and noticed a significant difference in the frequency, strength, volume, and urge of my tics. I have fewer of them. I started out jogging with my Chihuahua, Soy, at 5:30 in the morning, delicious vegetable breakfast wrap, local orange juice, and salad. Anyway, just wanted to tell everyone to reflect on your lifestyle because what you eat, what you choose to purchase will affect you and the Earth. Exercise and a balanced organically and sustainable farmed (local preferred) healthy diet calms my Tourette’s which helps me focus in school and keep my awesome figure. You don’t even have Tourette’s so imagine how it could help you!

Not convinced? One of the films that was shown during Bellevue College’s Earth Week this year called Forks Over Knives talks about how “degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods.” (IMDb) In North America, most of us eat pounds and pounds of meat when it should only be eaten as a condiment, for flavor. Imagine how many poor, mistreated cows are there in the Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOS) to supply our demand for meat and the millions of acres of mono-cultured corn to force feed ruminant cows. I could go on, but one thing for sure is diet affects all aspects of life.

Check out the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ijukNzlUg

Last Updated March 7, 2014