I-90 Tolling: Opportunity to Comment on Future Transportation

How do you feel about I-90 tolling?

The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) wants to know. Voice your comments in the following ways:

• Online: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I90/CrossLakeWATolling/eiscomments.htm
  • Email: i90eiscomments@wsdot.wa.gov
  • Mercer Island I-90 Scoping Event – Monday, Oct. 21 at Mercer Island from 4:30-8:30pm
  • Seattle I-90 Scoping Event – Wednesday, Oct. 23 at the Northwest African American Museum from 4:00-7:00pm

WSDOT asks for public comment on the proposal to toll I-90, which is part of the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) process required for public infrastructure projects by Washington state law. In this process they provide a potential “scope” of the project. This includes specific designs on how to actually implement tolling. Proposal designs can be viewed online on the WSDOT Cross-Lake Washington Corridor Website.

WSDOT has compiled information that helps commentators, including a document outlining the Purpose and Needs for the project as well as a Range of Alternatives currently being considered. Moreover, comments are meant to understand the environmental and social impacts of the project as well as minimize/mitigate effects of tolling.

Tolling raises particular concerns for students, staff, and faculty at the Bellevue College campuses. If implemented without attention to this population it could adversely impact commuters from Mercer Island as well as areas west of the I-90 Bridge. Currently, the Bellevue College community has the opportunity to comment on the scope and make suggestions.

Last Updated January 14, 2014