Active Duty Military and Veterans

Active Duty members of the military living in Washington and members of the Washington National Guard and their dependents may be eligible to pay resident tuition.

A military service member smiles in conversation.

General Information

What documents do I provide?

  • A copy of the service member’s orders and Military ID
  • A copy of the student’s  military ID

Documents may be mailed to:

Student Central: Admissions
3000 Landerholm Circle SE
Bellevue, WA 98007-6484

Active Duty – Living Outside the State of Washington

Members of the military whose home of record is Washington State, and who are serving active duty in another state or overseas may be eligible to pay resident tuition. Eligible dependents of active duty service members whose home record is Washington State, who maintain Washington State residency and remain continuously enrolled in a degree program may also be eligible to pay resident tuition even though the service member is serving out of state. Submit the following to the Residency Office:

  • Complete a Residence Questionnaire.
  • Documentation Washington is the service members home of record (L.E.S. – Leave and Earnings Statement)
  •  A copy of your current military orders
  • A copy of your military ID card (front only)
  • . Provide at least two of the following:
    • Current Washington state driver’s license
    • Washington voter’s registration
    • Current Washington vehicle registration
    • Ownership of Washington property
    • Storage of property in Washington

Application Deadline is the 30th calendar day of the quarter

Submit the Residence Questionnaire and all required documents by the 30th calendar day of the quarter you plan to obtain resident status. By regulation, we process applications and documents received after this date for the next quarter. No exceptions!

Please review the academic calendar for specific dates.

Tuition Reduction For Veterans and Eligible Spouse/Child

Effective July 24, 2015, ESSB 5355 was signed into law, modifying the definition of resident student to comply with federal requirements established by the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2015 (Choice Act). The Choice Act requires states to charge in-state tuition and fees to “covered individuals” in order for the Department of Veterans Affairs to approve programs of education for everyone training under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and the Montgomery GI Bill®.

Effective July 1, 2017, the definition of a “covered individual” in the Choice Act has been modified to the following:

  1. A veteran who enrolls in the institution of higher education within three (3) years of discharge from a period of active duty service of ninety 90 days or more.
  2. A spouse or child who is entitled to transferred VA educational benefits based on their relationship to an individual who has separated from the uniformed services and enrolls in the institution of higher education within three (3) years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

Veterans and their qualified dependents pay resident tuition under the following conditions.

  • At least 90 days of active duty
  • Honorable discharge
  • Enrolled in a Washington college or university within three years of separation

Submit the following by mail to Student Central: Admissions, 3000 Landerholm Circle SE, Bellevue, WA  98007-6484:

  • DD214, member four copy
  • Letter of Certification of eligibility