Faculty Professional Development (FPD, or faculty PD)
What would Bellevue College need to create meaningful, sustainable systems of faculty PD to ensure student learning and keep all students on their pathway? What should every instructor know and do to help eliminate the opportunity gaps in their courses and programs?
Faculty development that is a purposeful, data-informed, and accessible college practice will positively impact teaching, learning, and assessment outcomes. Ensuring students are learning and staying on their pathway is part of the Guided Pathways model, and part of ATD’s framework to embed equity and data-informed decisions throughout the institution.
Over the past 3 years, the FPD workgroup has answered these questions through considerable research, collaboration with college areas, and planning. Our foundational conclusion is Faculty PD must be embedded in Academic Affairs and tied to employment to effectively and meaningfully create a college culture of ensuring equitable learning opportunities for all students.
Beginning this fall, the Office of Academic Affairs will adopt the recommendations of the workgroup you see here:
- Develop a comprehensive onboarding system for faculty. In 2019-2020, we began considering how to best ensure all students are taught by faculty using evidence-based, antiracist practices and prepared to keep students on their path.
- Embed 4 core practices proven to close opportunity gaps into instruction across the campus: cultural responsiveness including anti-racism, High 5, UDL, and Canvas basics. In 2019-2020, we agreed on those 4 core practices.
- Tie PD to data. In 2019-2020, we met with Faculty Assessment Coordinating Team (FACT)/Program Review/Office of Academic Affairs to explore a position in Faculty Commons.
- Institute a campus-wide software program to inventory, offer, and track PD and trainings. In 2019-2020, we reviewed 3 programs and recommended Bridge.
Goals for 2020-2021
- Develop a series of workshops on High 5, UDL, Canvas as part of an onboarding system.
- Hold a year-long learning community on culturally responsive practices and education opportunities for faculty
- Move forward with Bridge, if possible, to create an inventory system
- Identify how pedagogical frameworks fit with ensuring equity (Project Based and Service Learning, Reading Apprenticeship, Trauma-informed Pedagogy, Internalization, and others) for the inventory
- Pilot a position to work with FACT/Program Review/Individuals to tie data to PD
- Integrate with the Equity Education and Guided Pathways initiatives
- Revise class evaluation processes to eliminate bias, produce useful feedback, tie to development opportunities
- Expand the membership of our workgroup! Please contact Tonya Estes if you’re interested in this work!
Case Statement for Faculty PD Workgroup (why do we exist?)
Meeting Minutes, Workplans, and other documents are posted in the ATD SharePoint Site, search “FPD”
Last Updated January 12, 2021