by Sukirti Ranade
Respondus LockDown Browser is a specially-designed web browser for taking tests in Canvas. When you build your quiz, you are able to setup that quiz which can only be completed, using the LockDown Browser. Students will need to download and use the LockDown Browser software to take that quiz. You do not have to use this tool. It is an optional feature added to quizzes.
This tool will be available for all faculty by December 15th.
How does LockDown Browser Work?
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh, and Stop
- Access to other applications is prevented–including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts, and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
How do I install LockDown Browser?
To install the tool in the left navigation, select the tools from your Canvas course settings.
Review the guide and a list of resources we have compiled on how to use this tool.
Last Updated November 7, 2019