How will your students access your course in case of a campus-wide shut down?
- Establish notification procedures for students (both to and from); reduce or eliminate unnecessary student trips to campus when the instructor cannot make it to campus.
- Design-in multiple, flexible communication and learning strategies and options that do not rely on in-person contact or delivery—for example, use BC Outlook email, Canvas Announcements, Canvas Conversations/Inbox, Zoom, Panopto, Conference Tool (uses Big Blue Button), Skype for Business, etc.
- Please extend the due date on Assignments and Quizzes/Exams in Canvas if needed.
If the Bellevue College website is not available:
- Login to Canvas directly using the url: bc.instructure.com
- Our Canvas instance is hosted on the Instructure Canvas company website and not on the BC campus.
- Check the Canvas Status Page for updates on Canvas.
Register for Canvas 101!
If you need more training on how to use Canvas, don’t delay! Learn how to use Canvas to post your course materials and keep your course going, even though campus may be closed! Register for Canvas 101!
You will learn how to prepare for emergencies that may result in campus closure by having your course syllabus, course objectives, announcements, and reading materials available in Canvas for students to access at any time.
For Instructors who use Canvas minimally:
- Login in to Canvas and search for your Canvas course.
- Create a Home Page.
- Add your Announcements.
- Hide all the Navigation tools that will not be used.
- Publish your Canvas site.
- Send an email using Outlook, so students are aware that there is a Canvas Site available. For questions on using Outlook contact ITS.
Last Updated February 22, 2019