Instructional video capture tool: Panopto
Panopto is a cloud-based video capture tool for training, teaching, and presenting. Record, webcast, manage, and search all of your video content. It makes recording or sharing your videos easier than ever. Panopto also uses your computer or the room’s computer to record.
Panopto is a hosted service, similar to Canvas by Instructure, and is provided by SBCTC eLearning for all WA state community and technical colleges.
- Easy to install and works on both Windows and Mac.
- Supports multi-camera video capture to record the instructor, the content of the screen, a document camera, a digital whiteboard, and more.
- Provides the ability to transmit live and on-demand video streams over the Internet or record and store them for on-demand viewing by students from a web browser.
- Allows you to add time-coded notes to videos so it’s easy to quickly get the information you need.
- Includes a cloud-based video content management system for uploading, managing, and sharing all your video files.
- Comes with built-in video analytics, a web-based video editor, and automatic encoding to ensure your videos play efficiently on any device.
- Can be integrated into any Canvas course. The integration allows videos to be uploaded directly to any course site.
Panopto in Canvas
Panopto is integrated in Canvas. You will find the Panopto button in your course Settings under the Navigation tab. Unhide the tool, Save and you can then use it from your left Navigation Menu in your Canvas course. Click on the Panopto button, download the recorder, and create and access videos in that course.
Quick step-by-step guides available to get you up and running:
- Getting started with Panopto
- Create Button
- Install Panopto for Windows
- Recording with Panopto for Windows
- Install Panopto for Mac
- Recording with Panopto for Mac
- Edit a Video
- Share your Video
- Folder Management
- Embed a YouTube Video into a Panopto Video
- Using an RSS Feed to Access Videos
Is there a place on campus where I can make recordings?
- Create a Request Center ticket to get an initial training on how to use Panopto in Studio Q.
- Book the studio on our booking system which uses SKEDDA.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Video Captioning, created by Panopto
ASR captions are not available in the editor immediately after a video has been uploaded and processed. Below, please find the target completion times for the captions.
- Target completion time for videos one hour or shorter: 8 hours
- Target completion time for videos over an hour: One day
First – time Using Panopto:
- Login to Canvas.
- Click on Settings
- Go to the Navigation Tab
- Select Panopto Recorder and unhide by dragging the tool in the menu above.
- You will now see Panopto in the left navigation.
- In your Canvas course, Click on Panopto
- You will need to download the Recorder before first use.
- Click on the Create button and select Record a new session.
- Select Download Panopto or download other options.
- Download the Windows or the Mac installer.
- Your file will be downloaded in the browser window. Save that file on your computer.
- Launch the “panoptorecorder.exe”, follow the default prompts and Save.
- Once completed, you will see the Panopto Icon on your desktop.
- Panopto Recorder Icon will be on you desktop ready for use.
Create your first recording in Canvas.
- Launch Canvas.
- Click on Panopto button in left navigation.
- Once the Panopto window launches, Create a new test recording, add captions, review settings and Publish.
Launch Panopto Recorder
You now ready to launch the Panopto Recorder from you Desktop. It will recognize your Canvas login information, if not Login using your NetID and password.
Last Updated May 14, 2019