Respondus LockDown Browser is a customized browser that increases the security of test delivery in Canvas. We have resources listed below and walk-in workshops in eLearning.
Note: The college has a license for Lockdown Browser only. We do not have a license for Lockdown Monitor.
- LockDown Browser must be installed to each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take a test.
- Students need admin rights on their personal use computer so they can download the browser.
- Students on campus, will find the Lockdown Browser available on all machines on campus.
- It prevents a student from printing, copying, going to an unauthorized url, or accessing other applications during a quiz.
- If a Canvas quiz requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser.
- LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Canvas quizzes.
- Once an assessment is started, students are locked into it until it’s submitted for grading.
Installing LockDown Browser
If LockDown Browser has already been installed, skip to the next section “Taking a Quiz?Exam”. If not, LockDown Browser must be installed on each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take a test. You must have administrative rights to install applications in order to install Lockdown Browser.
- System Requirements for LockDown Browser.
- Login in to Canvas and navigate to the quiz that will be using the Lockdown Browser.
- Click on the quiz. You should see a hyperlink that says “Download Respondus Lockdown Browser.” Clicking this will bring you to the download page.
- Click the Install Now button to download a zip file (.zip).
- Open the downloads folder and run the file titled “Install Respondus Lockdown Browser.”
- Accept the terms, set the location where you want Respondus to be installed in your computer, and then complete the installation process.
Note: If you have an older version of the browser already installed you may need to uninstall it and install the latest version using the instructions above.
Taking a Quiz/Exam
- Close all programs currently running.
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. (For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging), choose Yes when prompted.
- In the Choose Server dialog box select BC Canvas and click OK. This will take you to the Canvas login page where you can login and access your course.
- Navigate to the quiz and select the Take a Quiz link.
- Once a quiz has been started with LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit Answers button is clicked.
- After completing your quiz and clicking Submit Answers, close LockDown Browser and log back into you course using your preferred browser before doing any additional work in the course.
Students: If you have problems downloading, installing, or taking a test with Respondus LockDown Browser, you may contact the Technology Service Desk.
Preparing a Quiz for a LockDown Browser.
Watch this Video which walks you thru the steps on how to set your quiz to be used by the LockDown Browser.
Instructor Guide on how to use the Lockdown Browser.
Preparing a Quiz
To set up a quiz in Canvas that requires students to use LockDown Browser, follow these steps:
- Make sure the quiz has been deployed in the Canvas course.
- From the Course Navigation in Canvas, select LockDown Browser.
- A list of quizzes in the course will be displayed.
- Quizzes labeled with Required require students to use LockDown Browser.
- Quizzes labeled with Not Required do not require students to use LockDown Browser.
- To change the settings, select Settings from the context menu to the left of the quiz title and select the desired option.
You may additionally require that LockDown Browser be used to view quiz feedback and results. Optionally you may create an access code that students must enter to start the quiz. LockDown Browser will prompt students to enter the instructor-provided code before proceeding with the quiz.
- The first setting will prevent students from exiting the browser until the exam is completed. This is sometimes used in testing centers where a proctor can enter a password to exit an exam early.
- The second setting will allow students to take the exam with an iPad, using the free LockDown Browser app.
- The third setting will allow students to access a list of specified web domains during the test.
- The fourth and fifth settings allow instructors to provide students with a calculator or print function in the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- Click Save and Close to apply the settings.
For additional information, select the [explain] link that follows each setting.
Questions on how to setup a quiz? Contact the eLearning department at 425 564 4210 or Request Center ticket.
All machines on campus should have the LockDown browser installed. If the browser does not work as expected please contact the ITS Service Desk. 425-564-4357
Last Updated December 10, 2019